Friday, February 3, 2012

A note on constructive criticism



I like it (when you call me Big Poppa) ß had to.

Anyway. Yes, I like constructive criticism. In fact, I long for it. I would kiss it every day. I would caress it like a baby kitten.

I recently decided that there is value in putting unpolished work out into the ether. This is a big step for me (perfectionist that I am).

To make this step mean something, I would like to be able to start polishing said work. This is why I need you. Help me see what I do not. I may not always take your suggestions. But they help me expand my view of my writing. 

If you be so kind as to constructively criticize my work, I would appreciate it if you would...

A. Remember that, although I am openly asking for ways to improve my writing, I am still a delicate flower. So tread gently, but be honest. 

B. However, if you like something, say so! Please include specifics. I like to know what I am doing well. 

This type of comment helps me a lot: 

I really liked this line “___________” because of X reason. I didn’t understand “_______________” for X reason. I would like more clarification here ____________.

Or

I lost interest by _____ point. You could probably take out __________ line and ________ line and maintain meaning.

Or

For some reason, the fourth stanza simply doesn’t move me. I can see why it's there, but I just don’t like it. Is there a way you could take it out?

OR 

If you just want to tell me I’m ultimate fabulous wonderful amazing and to never ever change, I’ll take that too. But I’ll be a little bummed out.

You get my drift.

Help me hone this craft, folks! I will be forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment